Arsenal vs Southampton
Competition: Barclays Premier League
Venue: Emirates Stadium
Date: Saturday; September 9; 2016
Kick off: 14:00 GMT
Referee: Bobby Madley
Managers: Arsene Wenger; Claude Puel
Head to Head Stats(Last 6 matches):
EPL 02-02-2016 FT Arsenal 0 : 0 Southampton
EPL 26-12-2015 FT Southampton 4 : 0 Arsenal
EPL 01-01-2015 FT Southampton 2 : 0 Arsenal
EPL 03-12-2014 FT Arsenal 1 : 0 Southampton
EFLC 23-09-2014 FT Arsenal 1 : 2 Southampton
EPL 28-01-2014 FT Southampton 2 : 2 Arsenal
Arsenal team news:
- Lucas Perez and Shkodran Mustafi are in line to make their debuts after joining before the international break, although Mustafi is more likely to make his bow from the start.
- Per Mertesacker, Gabriel, Danny Welbeck, Carl Jenkinson, Alex Iwobi and Aaron Ramsey all miss out through injury. Nacho Monreal picked up a knock against Watford but that should have cleared over the international break.
- Alexis Sanchez featured for Chile in midweek and won’t return till later in the week. He could be a doubt but the Arsenal star doesn’t miss many games.
Southampton team news:
- Sofiane Boufal joined Southampton for a club-record deal before the international break but Claude Puel doesn’t expect to have the former Lille forward for up to a month as he builds up his fitness.
- Fraser Forster was forced to withdraw from the England squad during the international break due to an arm injury and is a doubt for Saturday. Alex McCarthy will deputise, as he did in the England squad, if Forster cannot recover in time.
- Jeremey Pied has been ruled out for the rest of the season with a knee injury, with Florin Gardos also injured.
Arsenal predicted starting line-up: Petr Cech, Hector Bellerin, Shkodran Mustafi, Laurent Koscielny, Nacho Monreal, Granit Xhaka, Santi Cazorla; Theo Walcott, Mesut Ozil, Alexis Sanchez, Lucas Perez
Southampton predicted starting line-up: Fraser Forster, Cedric, Jose Fonte, Virgil van Djik, Matt Targett, Oriol Romeu, Steve Davis, Pierre Emile-Hojbjerg, Dusan Tadic, Charlie Austin, Shane Long
Match facts (via Opta):
- If Arsenal lose they will equal their lowest points tally after four matches of a Premier League season: four in 1994-95 and 2011-12.
- The Gunners haven’t lost back-to-back Premier League home games since 2011 (against Aston Villa in May and Liverpool in August).
- Mesut Ozil has not scored a league goal at the Emirates since in a 2-0 win against Bournemouth on 28 December.
- Shkodran Mustafi made more clearances (160) and interceptions (133) than any other Valencia player in La Liga last season.
- Saints have not keep a clean sheet in their last 15 games, all of which were in the top flight.
- Southampton also failed to win any of their opening three Premier League games last season but they went on to finish sixth.
- They scored a joint league-high 15 headed goals in the 2015-16 season, level with West Ham.
Prediction: Arsenal 2-1 Southampton