Man United vs Man City
Competition: Barclays Premier League
Venue: Old Trafford
Date: Saturday; September 9; 2016
Kick off: 12:00 GMT
Managers: Jose Mourinho; Pep Guardiola
Head to Head Stats(Last 6 matches):
EPL 20-03-2016 FT Manchester City 0 : 1 Manchester United
EPL 25-10-2015 FT Manchester United 0 : 0 Manchester City
EPL 12-04-2015 FT Manchester United 4 : 2 Manchester City
EPL 02-11-2014 FT Manchester City 1 : 0 Manchester United1
EPL 25-03-2014 FT Manchester United 0 : 3 Manchester City
EPL 22-09-2013 FT Manchester City 4 : 1 Manchester United
United team news:
- Jose Mourinho has confirmed he has a fully fit squad for the Manchester derby, which means Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Luke Shaw have both overcome knocks picked up over the international break. This would also suggest Antonio Valencia is free to play despite getting back from the break later than most.
- Marcus Rashford is pushing for a start after following up his winner against Hull with a hat-trick for the England U21s on Tuesday. Anthony Martial’s poor start to the season could see him miss out if Rashford is selected. Juan Mata is another that could drop out.
City team news:
- Pep Guardiola has a lot to ponder ahead of his much anticipated clash against Jose Mourinho on Saturday.
- Sergio Aguero has been given a three-match ban for elbowing West Ham’s Winston Reid prior to the international break, which means Kelechi Inheanacho should lead the line. Alternatively, Guardiola could use Raheem Sterling through the middle in a false nine position.
- Ilkay Gundogan and Leroy Sane have both been training to make their season debuts in the Manchester derby but it remains to be seen how ready all three are come Saturday. Vincent Kompany won’t be risked.
- Claudio Bravo will have only trained with his new teammates for two days, but you’d expect their new signing to start in goal. Bacary Sagna has missed City’s last three matches but has since confirmed he is free to play.
United predicted starting line-up: David De Gea, Antonio Valencia – Eric Bailly – Daley Blind – Luke Shaw, Marouane Fellaini – Paul Pogba, Juan Mata – Wayne Rooney – Anthony Martial, Zlatan Ibrahimovic
City predicted starting line-up: Claudio Bravo, Pablo Zabaleta – John Stones – Nicolas Otamendi – Gael Clichy, – Fernandinho, Fabian Delph David Silva – Raheem Sterling, Kevin De Bruyne , Nolito
Match facts (via Opta):
- This is only the second time that both Manchester clubs have won their opening three league games. The other occasion was in 2011, when City went on to claim the title ahead of United on the final day.
- Wayne Rooney has scored 11 goals in Manchester derbies – more than any other player in this fixture.
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic has scored 41 times in 34 league games since the start of last season.
- Jose Mourinho is the first manager to win his opening four games in charge of Manchester United (includes Community Shield).
- Pep Guardiola is the first Manchester City manager to win his opening five matches in charge of the club.
- Raheem Sterling has scored or assisted five goals in four games under Pep Guardiola – as many as he produced in his last 22 matches under Manuel Pellegrini.
- Kevin de Bruyne has provided 15 assists in league and cup since debuting for City, five more than any other player at the club.
- The suspended Sergio Aguero has scored seven goals in eight league games against United.
Prediction: Man Utd 1-1 Man City